The average woman uses 12 personal care products each day.
They contain an average of 168 different chemicals! Eek!
Who wants to be able to mix and match natural ingredients to your own skin care needs and it not be full of chemicals which might be harmful to your health...yes please! "There is an oil for everyone and the first thing you need to do is to find the oil that benefits your skin type" Jennifer Lane - Certified Aromatherapist
A natural facial oil is a blend of plant-based carrier oils and beneficial essential oils, intended to nourish, deeply hydrate and protect our skin.
- Facial oils have no added water and are not emulsified like a cream or moisturiser
- Unlike water-based serums, facial oils (sometimes called facial oil serums) are oily to the touch, but absorb into skin quickly
- Natural facial oils (unlike mineral oil) mimic the skin’s natural sebum production and don’t clog pores
- As we age, our skin produces less oil and facial oils help add oil back, helping us combat wrinkles and dry skin
- Contrary to popular belief, facial oils can be beneficial to people with oily skin because they help regulate oil production and fight bacteria that causes acne
- Facial oils protect skin from environmental damage from sun and chemicals in air (although they do NOT provide sunscreen protection)
1.) You control the ingredients (and can easily avoid artificial fragrances and harmful preservatives)
2.) You can customise it to your skin type.
3.) You’ll save money
4.) You can proudly say “I made this myself!!”
5.) Homemade facial oil makes a great gift!
Carrier oils help to dilute the essential oil and prevent skin irritation. A good rule of thumb is to choose a carrier oil that is light in texture and odourless.
Carrier oils are the base of many essential oil blends, they can also be used alone or mixed with other ingredients. They have been shown to improve the appearance of dry skin, reduce skin irritations and more!
Carrier Oil options
Normal Skin: Jojoba oil, hemp seed oil, sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil
Dry Skin: Olive oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, argan oil
Oily Skin: Sunflower oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil
Mature Skin: Sesame oil, jojoba oil, rosehip oil, apricot oil and sweet almond oil
Combination: argan oil, tamanu oil
Sensitive Skin: Sesame oil, sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, jojoba oil
We recommend for spring, summer months or if you like a lighter on the skin sensation oil, our organic sweet almond carrier oil. It contains glucosides, minerals and vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and E. Being rich in protein organic sweet almond carrier oil is useful for dry, itchy skin, and for cooling overheated skin. Organic sweet almond carrier oil is good for most skin types. It can be used on its own or part of a blend, as a base oil.
- An excellent emolient
- Rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and E
- Calms and protects against skin irritation
- Aids in relieving skin and scalp irritation, both inflammation and itching.
- A popular lubricating oil, commonly used in massage for this very reason. Commonly used in baby products due to its sensitive nature on irritated and sensitive skin
What Essential Oils Can I Use?
You'll need to choose the right essential oil or blend of oils for your needs. Essential oils can be used for a variety of purposes, including relaxation, energy, focus, and stress relief.
Essential oils boost the healing properties of your skin oil and have regenerating and toning properties. Not only are they easily absorbed into your skin, but they also improve the texture, feel, AND look of your skin!
Because essential oils are so powerful, using the proper dilution ratio is important. Most sources recommend a dilution rate of 2 – 2.5% for skin care products, which would be between 9 to 18 drops of essential oil for 15ml of carrier oil. Use a few drops of the following essentials oil to rev up the benefits of your oils:
- Peppermint essential oil improves circulation. It helps to cool the skin, to soothe inflammation, irritation and itchiness on skin.
- Geranium essential oil helps our patience and serenity and brings balance with our hormones. Is natural anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory oil, it actively boosts skin's health and natural glow. By helping skin stay conditioned, and soothing irritated or breakout prone skin, it fights against skin affected by harsh weather conditions or prone to acne.
- Lemon essential oil’s earthy, citrus aroma has soothing, antibacterial and cleansing properties. Helps to restore the skin's natural balance and reduce excess sebum. Furthermore, Lemon Oil has beneficial effects on skin that suffers from breakouts as it helps to purify and cleanse the epidermis.
- Eucalyptus essential oil reduces inflammation and helps breathing. Can help cleanse the epidermis, ridding the pores of harmful impurities that can contribute to breakouts, pigmentation and dull skin
- Tea Tree essential oil is a natural choice for anti-allergy and building immunity, keeping skin, hair and nails healthy. It may help treat certain skin conditions, including acne, itching, and oily skin.
- Lavender essential oil has pain relief and calming properties. It reduces irritation and relaxes breathing. Did you know Vitamin A is lavenders super power? Which helps boost skin collagen. It gently moisturises skin, and is non-comedogenic for pores. Lavender oil is naturally antibacterial, meaning that it kills acne-causing bacteria that might infiltrate your pores. This makes the purple flower perfect for preventing, calming, and healing painful acne breakouts.
- Frankincense essential oil is helpful for focus and aiding in relaxation and calmness. With powerful anti-inflammatory properties, Frankincense Essential Oil is an effective natural remedy to calm the complexion. For irritated or damaged skin, Frankincense Oil restores the epidermis and calms affected areas. For sunburn, rosacea or breakouts, this healing element soothes and nourishes the skin. Can reduce fine lines and scar tissue as well as soothe blemishes and calm inflammation, with an earthy, woodsy aroma.
- Orange essential oil’s best used for a vitamin c boost, to calm anxiety and help regulate emotions with its uplifting effects. Helps promote clarity, fights inflammation and acne, and keeps our skin fresh.
I have sensitive skin, and love to use sesame oil in the winter months (slightly heavier oil) and sweet almond oil (light oil) in the summer months mixed with my choice of own pure organic essential oils. Our immunity boost oil set is great to use with sweet almond oil before any allergies set in with hay fever on the horizon! I pop in 15ml bottle carrier and drop in from the immunity boost oil set 4 tea tree, 4 lemon, and 2 drops peppermint (so cooling on the skin). Shake and pop a few drops on my face each morning. We have an exciting new Face Oil Set for you to Blend your own!
- In a dark glass 15ml bottle, fill with approximately 80% carrier oil and 20% the carrier oil you chose from the list above.
- Add 9-18 essential oil drops and mix together with your your carrier oils.
- Store the bottle in a cool, dark place to protect the integrity of the oils.
How To Use your Facial Oil
Now that you have blended your own magic facial oil, you get to use it your skincare routine.
- Always apply facial oil after cleaning and toning your skin.
- Use 3 to 6 drops ONLY on your face and neck.
- Apply by dropping the oil into the palm on your hands, pressing your hands together, and then gently patting the oil into your skin.
- When it comes to face oils… less is MORE!
- Use a tool like a gua sha and face yoga techniques to get the most out of your oils.
Use your magic blended facial oil every day and get ready to LOVE the skin you’re in! Start to create your signature magic blend now with our Facial Oil and choice of 3 Pure Organic Essentials oils available to purchase now!
What Essential Oils Blend well?
Lavender Essential Oil: Blends well with frankincense, orange, peppermint, geranium, tea tree and lemon
Frankincense Essential Oil: Blends well with lavender, orange, geranium
Sweet Orange Essential Oil: Blends well with lavender, frankincense
Peppermint Essential Oil: blends well with lavender, lemon, and eucalyptus.
Lemon Essential Oil: Blends well with peppermint, lavender, geranium and eucalyptus.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Blends well with peppermint, lavender and lemon
Tea Tree Essential Oil: Blends well with peppermint, lavender, and geranium
- Geranium Essential Oil: Blends well with lavender, and frankincense, lemon and tea tree.
Tip: You can also apply this to your whole body for a self care massage or foot rub too! Nourishing your whole body!
Tender touch is now known to boost the immune system, lower blood pressure, decrease stress hormones such as cortisol and trigger the release of painkilling opiates (endorphins).
Sending healthy nourishing skin wishes
references on carrier oils by an amazing certified aromatherapist Jennifer Lane.
Watch a webinar here on chemicals in your beauty products and what to avoid for toxic free living.