ADHD is attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder mainly in children but also in some of us adults. Essential oils are believed to help ADHD when used in conjunction with behavioural therapy, as they have a calming or relaxing effect. This calming effect may help modify some symptoms including:
- Inability to concentrate for long periods of time
- Inability to manage impulsive behaviour
- Inability to consider the consequences of some actions
- Trouble getting along with others
Pure Organic Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender has been used for hundreds of years to reduce anxiety.
- Best used for: Lavender essential oil can be useful for lowering anxiety and helping you become more relaxed, which could potentially help with ADHD symptoms.
Pure Organic Orange Essential Oil
Orange oil is derived from the rinds of the sweet orange.
Orange essential oil was also used and showed it could reduce anxiety and create calm in individuals in a stressful environment.
Again, although orange oil may be effective in reducing anxiety, there is not enough scientific backing on its use to treat ADHD symptoms.
Do not go in the sun if you apply any citrus oils to your skin.
- Best used for: Orange oil is best used to calm anxiety and help regulate emotions in stressful situations.
Pure organic Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is a musky, sweet smelling aroma and is made from the resin of the Boswellia tree.
Frankincense may be able to help people focus better and help with calmness. It may also help reduce some negative emotions that people with ADHD commonly experience.
Though frankincense may be helpful with calmness, more research is needed to prove whether the oil can directly improve ADHD symptoms.
- Best used for: Frankincense oil is helpful for focus and aiding in relaxation and calmness.
Pure Organic Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil from the flowering part as well as the leaves of the peppermint plant.
It’s believed to have a soothing effect. It can help relax and calm the restlessness. People with sensitive skin should dilute this essential oil even more than other essential oils by adding more carrier oil or less essential oil.
- Best used for: Though more research is needed to determine whether peppermint oil can directly reduce ADHD symptoms, it may help with some symptoms including restlessness.
Tips and Tricks: Why not try a few drops of one of your favourite oils above while out and about on our keyring diffuser, or use our aroma diffuser with Lavender or night time signature scent in the evenings to help wind down. @gaba.life GABA podcast on spotify has a great soundscape meditation on ADHD called cloud transformations.
Sending healthy wishes on your journey x